Thursday, March 29, 2012

Expanding my advice audience...

Way back when my profession was that of a software developer I used to go on interviews as if it was my hobby.  This may sound strange to many but even if I was completely happy with my current job or project I still would find a way to go to at least one interview a week, sometimes even got a free lunch out of it too.  When I first started doing it I was looking for different opportunities but as time passed and had done many different interviews it become more and more evident I was fine tuning my interview skills.  In a few short years walking into an interview was about like ordering drive thru at McDonalds, what I mean to say is it no longer was a nervous situation or the answers to questions had no struggle to them.  From that point on I could get just about any job I was qualified for, I won't boast like some and state any job because lets be honest for a second I don't know every field but if I did I could get it.

So lets fast forward a bit and look at the last few years, every time my wife has issues with her job, co-workers or just figuring out if it is time to leave she comes to me for the answer.  One of the first things I realized is even though we are in completely different industries what applies to mine also applies to hers.  A few weeks ago her and I were talking about a situation and it dawned on me that a lot of people could use this kind of advice but seldom have anyone to turn to for the answers, so I started up a website.  I mean come on, they have websites for everything so why not this, why not me?  

One thing that I think sets mine apart it comes from personal experience.  A good example of this is the article I wrote the other day and common mistakes veterans make on their resumes, looking at a few other related articles I quickly noticed something they all had in common in that they were written by people who never were in the military.  I did serve my country and have a firm grasp on what it is like to get out of the military and suddenly hit by the sledge hammer on how different the civilian world is compared to what you know to be normal.  This is usually compounded if you were like me and joined the military right out of high school.

If you find yourself looking for a job or just wanting to get a different take on your current job take a look at Workplace Politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment