Friday, January 20, 2012

Finding things on the web/internet


Finding things on the web/internet
Every lose something, I think we can safely all agree that we have and know the feeling all too well but in this day of age we also lose things on the internet.  Now google serves a very good purpose there especially when you really started to understand how to use it but more on that later, today I am talking about some of the vast information sites that change format over and over and then suddenly you can’t find something you once could before.  I recently had this problem, I knew the material existed and has existed since about 2001 but the website it was on is both huge and ever changing so finding the same material again turned into a very challenging task.  Every few days I would show back up at this site’s search or google search and try a few new words that might inch me closer to the desired destination but each time was greeted with countless pages I didn’t desire or nothing.  I knew it was downloadable material, knew a few of the key words that should of got me some good results but nothing was working. 
So when this happens to you, head over to web.archive.org or commonly referred to as the wayback machine.  I knew the site I was looking for so the first step was easy, let’s look at the site but what this allows me to do is to look at the site the way it was years back. (of course if wayback machine crawled if but so far it has hit everything I wanted and experimented with)  The material I wanted wasn’t showing up, so I started going back in time.  Each time it kept the link as it was but let me look at the same page moving backwards in time until finally, there was the age old page really to give up its secrets.
I suggested if you are looking for something on a public site and having issues, give it a try.

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment